Writing Club Spreads its Wings

November 28, 2016

Junior Miranda Donovan, vice president of the Writing Club, is facing her second year as a staff member with a smile.

This fall has been a busy one for the students of Annapolis High School. Several new clubs and organizations have popped up since the beginning of the school year, such as the ASL Club, which aims to help students learn and practice American Sign Language, and the Omniglot Club, which focuses on cultural exploration and language learning. Other clubs are seeking to grow their membership bases. One of these is the Writing Club, which has existed since the fall of last year and has since seen an expansion in public visibility and prominence.

The Writing Club functions as a group where students can receive general homework help and feedback on pieces such as scholarship essays and college application essays. When we spoke with the club’s vice president, Miranda Donovan, she affirmed the scholarly focus of the club, but also hinted that it may move in a more creative direction as membership increased. “I would tell people interested in the Writing Club to just bring anything they have,” she said.

The club meets a widespread need in the community, as a large number of students continue to struggle through essays in writing-intensive courses such as AP Lang and APUSH. The focus is on one-on-one, individualized critiquing sessions, though Miranda stated that larger group workshops are something that that club offers and that she would like to pursue even more in the future.

Students interested in joining the Writing Club can attend their meetings, which are held on Thursdays from 2:15 to 4:00 in the library. They can also contact Mrs. Rudkin for more information.

1 Comment

One Response to “Writing Club Spreads its Wings”

1. Ianna on December 18th, 2016 2:02 pm

This looks great thanks for the write up!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

The Panther Spot • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in