An Enchanted Homecoming

October 5, 2016

The Class of 2017 showed its spirit on Class Colors Day.

Leah Goodman

Leah Goodman

When people talk about Homecoming, they are most likely referring to either the game or the dance. Yet the excitement for these two events was building at Annapolis High School long before the weekend of the 24th. Ticket sales and morning announcements snowballed into Spirit Week, a celebration of the school’s incredible students and faculty that lasted from Monday to Friday. Each day brought a different theme, and with it a myriad of costumes. This year, the themes (in order) were Character Day, International Day, Decades Day, Act Your Age Day, and Class Colors Day.

This culminated with the Friday pep rallies, in which students were able to assemble with their grade around the football stadium, cheer for athletes, watch performances, and send representatives to compete in competitions such as Tug-of-War. In contrast to previous years, when all of the grades attended a singular rally, there were separate rallies for the underclassmen and upperclassmen. Juniors and Seniors competed for the Spirit Stick (which took the appearance of a sparkling baton), and the Seniors won, marking the 37th consecutive year they have done so.

Autumn McCree

More than a few students raided their parents' closets for Decades Day.

The Homecoming Game, which took place that evening, was made even more special by the fact that Annapolis High School won the Ravens RISE High School Football Showdown, with a final tally of 366,817 votes. Thanks to the hard work of the Panthers and the South River Seahawks, the stadium was visited Ravens cheerleaders and the mascot, Poe, and decorated with flags and banners. With a final score of 44 for AHS and 20 for SRHS, the Varsity team remained undefeated.

Spirits were understandably high as students soared into the Homecoming Dance on Saturday evening. Students roared and crowd-surfed their way through the evening, much to the annoyance of supervising faculty. Balloons, originally arranged to form the shapes of trees (the theme was Enchanted Forest), were ripped from the walls and thrown through the crowd. High heels were abandoned on the side of the dance floor. A few unfortunate glow-stick spills aside, the night seems to have been a success that the student body will not soon forget.